Review: Starters

Title: Starters
Author: Lissa Price
Source: Borrowed from my Library

Goodreads Description and Cover:
HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER
Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.
He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .

My Thoughts:
Well, I went into this book without knowing much about it. I saw the blurb on the cover about enjoying Starters if you enjoyed The Hunger Games. I know to take book comparison blurbs with a grain of salt after the If I Stay paperback book cover (here).

However, I DID enjoy this book and I DID enjoy The Hunger Games! I could kind of see how the two books could be compared in the genre that they're in.

  • Both main characters are female.
  • Both main characters are fighting for survival.
  • Both main characters are trying to save and protect their younger sibling.
  • Both main characters are really nobodies on the spectrum, but they head in to the technically advanced world and are triumphant over the bad guy.

Callie, our main character of Starters, is trying to earn money so she can buy a place for her and her brother to live and to also buy him the medicine that he needs. She uses Prime Destinations as a last resort. She thought it would be quick and easy money -- to let an Ender rent her body.

The whole renting concept is intriguing! If I lived to be 100+, I could see wanting to do that so I could feel young for a little bit...if I had the money that was required!

Callie was very lucky with who her renter was. All of the bad things that happened, happened. However, she was left with a pretty sweet set up after it was all said and done.

It will be very interesting to see what becomes of Callie and the world that Lissa has introduced us to in the next novel, Enders. There are still situations unsolved. Callie is in for more trouble, I'm afraid!

*side note* Gag about Blake. Old Man. Blake. Gag! If you've read it, you know what I mean! If you haven't read it, go! Get it and read it now!

My Rating:
I really enjoyed Starters! The book really surprised me! I thought the world created was interesting and the concept of renting was different. I'm excited to read more by Lissa! 
The cover was so pretty and shiny! I kept petting the embossed prettiness (like a goob!).


1 comment:

  1. Awesome Review! I have been debating on whether or not to read this one for a while, I love the cover, I always look at covers and just wanna read the book no matter what the summary says lol. I haven't heard about the renting aspect of it, that really intrigues me, your review just made me really wanna check it out!

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete