The Wicked and the Just Review

Title: The Wicked and the Just
Author: J. Anderson Coats
Source: A gift from my mom!

Goodreads Summary: 
Cecily’s father has ruined her life. He’s moving them to occupied Wales, where the king needs good strong Englishmen to keep down the vicious Welshmen. At least Cecily will finally be the lady of the house.


Gwenhwyfar knows all about that house. Once she dreamed of being the lady there herself, until the English destroyed the lives of everyone she knows. Now she must wait hand and foot on this bratty English girl.


While Cecily struggles to find her place amongst the snobby English landowners, Gwenhwyfar struggles just to survive. And outside the city walls, tensions are rising ever higher—until finally they must reach the breaking point.

My Take:
First of all, let me just say how happy I am that I made it through the book without putting it back on the shelf. I wanted this book because of that beautiful cover and my mom was awesome enough to buy it one day that we were out shopping together.

I really haven't dabbled in Historical Fiction much, if at all. With that being said, I had a really hard time reading the book. The language used was just difficult for me.

The characters...ohhhh, the characters. I wanted to stab them, yet at the same time, I pitied them all. I kept hoping for a relationship between Cecily and Gwinny - a bond. I guess this may be spoilery, but it never came. At the first chance to have it, Gwinny threw it away.

The title of this book could have easily been "The Wicked". I guess I don't feel like there was anything "Just" about what happened. The English and Welsh were just...ARGH! Hypocritical seems like a good word to use to describe them.

 My Rating:
I know I probably haven't given you any good information to persuade you to read or not read The Wicked and the Just. If you like Historical Fiction, this will probably be right up your alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment